Friday, December 15, 2017

Holidays Canvas / Paige Evans DT

Hey there, friends!  Happy FRIDAY...yeah!  I have a fun and colorful Christmas canvas to share today for the Paige Evans Design Team. I’ve been making so many layouts lately, so I decided to create something I could display during the holidays. I haven’t made a canvas in a long time, so I just jumped right into it. I began with Paige’s Christmas Tree Background cut file. I had an idea of a whole bunch of brightly colored trees, so I sorted through lots of papers and chose several from Turn the Page as well as the Fancy Free 12x12 Paper Pad. I ungrouped the tree cut file and arranged small rectangles of each paper on my Cameo cutting mat. I cut enough to create three lines of trees. The fun part was getting messy for the background! I used lots of watercolors, Shimmerz, Color Shine, and white acrylic paint.

I applied some clear gesso first and then came in with the paints. I sprayed some water down first and then used a brush to apply the paint.  I let it bleed and blend to create a pretty rainbow effect. Then I came in with some spray inks and added Heidi Swapp Gold Color Shine. I splattered some watered down white acrylic paint at the end to create the effect of snow. I very messily machine stitched through each tree with gold metallic thread and then added adhesive foam behind them. I think the dimension makes this project really stand out. I added some Turn the Page Thickers and a piece of washi tape from the Turn the Page Washi Tape Book. The colors matched beautifully. I also added some of the gold stars from the washi tape. I fussy cut the cute birds from the Turn the Page 6x6 Paper Pad.


I love how rich this blue looks! It’s so much fun using non-traditional colors for Christmas projects. For some added gold shine, I added in some tangles of gold thread in a few places. Look how pretty the gold and white splatters turned out!


This canvas is 12x12 and will be very easy to hang on the wall or prop up on the mantle. You could do this with so many different shapes or colors and create one for every season in your home!


I couldn't stop photographing it close up...haha!  So here are few more shots of all the colorful goodness :)







I hope this inspires you in some way to create something festive for the holidays. And don’t be afraid to venture out away from just red and green - Christmas is colorful, so embrace it and use ALL the colors!



Thanks so much for stopping by, and have a great day!


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this!! What kind of gold metallic thread do you use in your sewing machine?

    ReplyDelete