Sunday, July 16, 2017

Sweet Things / Hip Kit Club

Happy Sunday, friends :)  Here's my newest layout for Hip Kit Club using the 2017 June Hip Kits.  My theme for last week was to use feathers.  Honestly, I was a little hesitant at first.  I think I've only used feathers in one other layout I've ever made, and I couldn't really come up with an idea on how to use them.  I decided to just go abstract and use them in a random way.  I cut several feathers using a few patterned papers from the Main Kit (and Paper Kit) using my Cameo.  The feather cut files are by Kim Watson, and they're available on the Hip Kit website.

I used the Lilac Cardstock for the background.  I chose these bright color photos of my girls...they're actually in the same shot...together!  That rarely happens.  At first I wasn't sure about using the periwinkle blue color mixed with the bright aqua in the photos. I added in some aqua in various places around the page, and I really love how it turned out.


I used some white gesso on my background first to give me some white space and to create a barrier for some watercolor.  I used some of the Prima Watercolor Confections from last month's Color Kit and some Shimmerz to create some watercolor splotches.  I went back and forth on where to place the feathers, and in the end, I decided to overlap them horizontally.  I machine stitched through them with some metallic gold thread, and I embellished with some stickers and chipboard.


 I love that the feathers have a lot of open spaces so you can see the background through them.  That creates a lot of depth and leaves room for more color.  I used one of the large Amy Tan chipboard pieces here for my title and layered part of a Vicki Boutin frame under it.  The frames are in the Embellishment Kit.  That cute wood veneer button is a Hip Kit exclusive this month, and I added some aqua thread to pull the color from the photos.  The heart is also Amy Tan, and the pink sticker is from the Crate Paper Oasis Sticker Sheet.


I used more of the Vicki Boutin frames and some of the exclusive Project Life cards as layers under the photos as well as some pink & coral thread.  I really love the colors in the photos, and I love the color mix here.


I added another wood veneer button here and a gold glitter leaf sticker.  It reminded me of a feather, and I wanted a pop of gold right there.


The fun thing about using these kinds of cut files is how you can create dimension with them.  I didn't completely glue them down...just enough for them to stay so I could stitch through them.  This leaves the ends to raise up off the page a little bit.  I love this fun frame here that I added to the photo on the left.  I didn't think I was going to like the periwinkle and aqua that close together, but I think with the pinks and corals mixed in they look great.


I wrote my journaling in gold.  I usually use black, but I wanted to keep the gold pops coming, so I used a metallic gold pen instead.


I hope this inspires you to use a shape you wouldn't normally use on your page.  Feathers aren't my typical go-to shape, but I love how this turned out.  It challenged me to be creative.  So go for it!  Here's my process video:


Thanks so much for stopping by, and have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment