Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Red Top Mtn / Simple Stories

Hey friends! I'm back today to share a new layout for Simple Stories using the Winter Wonderland collection. Have you ever had a collection really challenge you? Well, considering this line is all about Winter, snow, skiing and sledding, I was definitely challenged. I live in sunny Florida, and we are all about the sunshine, beaches and pools. So I had to get creative with my projects! This taught me to really study the collection and pull from it what works for me. I looked at the florals as more of a Fall piece and tried to play on the more neutral patterned papers. I scrapped an outdoor photo and used the pieces that helped me showcase it. Here is what I came up with.

This page is about going on a hike up a mountain in a state park in Georgia. My friend and I found this really cool structure that looked like an old stone fireplace that must’ve been from a house many years ago. I decided to recreate it using a fun Funky Rectangles cut file from Just Nick. I cut it on kraft cardstock and then backed it with the beautiful blue wood grain Warm Winter Wishes paper. I love how it looks! I fussy cut some hearts and flower clusters to layer around my photo. I also smudged some white gesso on the background and used some coordinating Shimmerz Paints colors to add some watercolor effects. I think all these neutral colors really convey nature and the outdoors really well.


I love these little hearts and flower clusters. I layered a few of them around my photo and added some tangled thread under them. I went small with my title and used the small dark brown alpha stickers from the 4x6 Sticker sheet. I really love that gorgeous blue color popping in from the background.


I added another fussy cut flower cluster to the left of the photo as well as more thread and a few brown enamel dots. I did add some foam under my photo to raise it up and create some depth. I also did some machine stitching around the photo area with some dark brown thread.


I created another small cluster for the top right of the layout just to add a little bit of interest up in that area. I also added in a label sticker.


Here’s one more look at the background cut file and they layers behind my photo. I used a few papers from the 6x6 Paper Pad behind the photo as well as a few die cuts from the Bits & Pieces pack. When you are struggling for an idea, cut files are a great way to give the papers you have a totally different look.


Thank you so much for stopping in today!  Have a wonderful Tuesday :)


1 comment:

  1. That cut file is perfect for you photo. Love the clusters

    ReplyDelete