Thursday, December 8, 2016

Merry Christmas / My Mind's Eye

Happy Thursday, friends!  Today I wanted to share my newest layout for My Mind's Eye.  I'm so excited about how this one turned out!  I used the new Sugar Plum collection, and it's just so pretty.  My background paper has a glittery wintry scene on it, so I took advantage of that and built my design on it.  I've been wanting to try out my fringe scissors, so I decided to make a big tree using them.  I hand drew a tree on some scrap paper and then sorted through the patterned papers and 6x6 Paper Pad and chose papers to cut into strips.  I cut them with the fringe scissors and adhered them to my scrap paper tree.  I also stitched through each row with silver thread.  Once I had the tree done, I could move it around and decided where to put it.

I used some white gesso on the background and then used Shimmerz sprays to add color.  I used a few pinks & reds, some aqua and some silver.  I used a few chipboard trees and also fussy cut some from another patterned paper.  I printed my photos in black & white because they were kind of dark and had strange colors in them.  The girls and I were wearing bright pink shirts, my husband had on navy blue, and our porch is terracotta.  So that would have really clashed with all of these light colors.


I highly recommend fringe scissors...look how cool this turned out!  This created so much texture and dimension on the tree here.  I simply layered my photos vertically and then embellished around it with some chipboard flowers, enamel dots and sparkly gem brads.


These chipboard trees are adorable, and they're on the Chipboard Elements sheet.  I fussy cut some from paper as well.  Look at all the pretty glitter...just gorgeous.  This collection pretty much designs your pages for you :)


Here are more chipboard and fussy cut trees....and sparkly snow glitter.  It's part of the background paper, and it looks so much prettier in person!


I fussy cut the flower out to tuck under my photos here, and I added a strip of plaid Decorative Tape for my title to sit on.  I pulled some grey alpha and number stickers from my stash and just created a simple title.  I did add tangled thread along the way, too.


Here you can see how thick the tree is since I added all that patterned paper on top of the scrap tree that I drew on cardstock.  Nothing is moving since I machine stitched through it.  Here you can also see the background texture created with the gesso and Shimmerz.


One final close-up of the top of the tree....I did some zig zag stitching at the top and added a cute chipboard star.  I love those big rhinestone brads!


I hope this inspires you in some way to create something fun with fringe scissors!  They are addictive...I already want to use them again and again!

Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. This is absolutely gorgeous. I love that you used pastels for a Christmas Layout.

    ReplyDelete