Saturday, May 2, 2015

Focus on Flowers / Chickaniddy Crafts

Happy National Scrapbooking Day!!  (Or as my husband calls it...."every day that ends in Y"...haha!)  I can't argue with him!  I hope you get lots of crafty time this weekend!

Today I'm sharing my latest layout for Chickaniddy Crafts.  It's a Spring-inspired page that focuses on FLOWERS.  Nothing says Spring to me more than beautiful flowers, so I wanted to incorporate a lot of them onto my page.  Flowers are an embellishment I don't use a lot of, but I think they add such a pretty feel to a layout.  Of course, you know I love to go bold and bright, so I went through all of my Chickaniddy products and pulled flowers from the Jolly Good and Scrumptious collections.  I love the reds, pinks, yellows and oranges mixed together.  I wanted to add some blue flowers, so I used the flower stamp from the Jolly Good line and some blue ink to create my own.

Supplies Used:  Jolly Good--Sweater Weather JG140S04, Snow Play JG140S09, Sticker Sheet JG14EB01, Clear Stamps JG14ST01; Scrumptious--Home Sweet Home SC140S02, Check Please SC140S09, Hay Ride SC140S05, Friends & Family SC140S08, Sticker Sheet SC14EB02, Die Cut Tags SC14EB04, Alpha Stickers SC14EB02, Clear Stamps SC14ST01, Mini Brads SC14EB08; Faber Castell Gelatos, Brother Sewing Machine, Coats Thread, Silhouette Cameo, Tim Holtz Distress Ink, Heidi Swapp Color Shine, October Afternoon Date Stamp, Ranger Archival Ink, Sharpie Pen.

Here's how I created this layout:

1.  I wanted to use several of the bright patterned papers from these two collections, so I decided on a pie chart design.  I cut a large pie chart on my Cameo and used the cut outs to trace around each of the patterned papers.  Then I simply adhered them down and stitched around the edges.


2.  I wanted to add a bit of paint, so I used a few different colors of gelatos and colored them onto a piece of plastic packaging.  I spritzed it with water and then rubbed the plastic on to the paper.  It leaves a messy watercolor look.  Here's how I did that:

Draw some scribbles on the plastic.


Spray some water onto it (just a little bit) and smoosh the plastic together to mix it in.


Turn the plastic over and press it down onto the paper, kind of like a stamp.


Keep moving it around and pressing down on it until you get this messy watercolor look.



3.  I added some vellum and paper under my photos and used pop dots to raise them up.  Then I began adding the flower clusters.


4.  I added some machine stitching and mixed my title with a Cameo cut, some alpha stickers and stamps.


Here's a close up of the cute paper, mixed media coloring, stitching and thread.  I also outlined the pie chart pieces with a black pen to make them stand out a little more.


The flowers really pop all next to each other.  I love the bright colors!


I hope this inspires you to scrap something pretty with flowers for Spring!  Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. I really like how your layouts still emphasize the picture and the story, even with all of the fun stuff going on! I am finding it is hard to keep the design focused on the "missy inspired" layout I am making right now. Love your process videos.. I'll keep watching them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete