Thursday, July 3, 2014

Good Time Sisters / My Scraps & More

Happy Thursday :)  Tomorrow is the 4th of July already...goodness, time is flying by!  Before I share a few of my patriotic-themed layouts, I wanted to share this one I created earlier in the week for a My Scraps challenge.  The challenge was to use circles and triangles on a layout.  I scraped this cute picture of my and my little sister from back in February.  It was hard to photograph this layout because of the lighting that day, but also because of the silver foil parts on the letter stickers.  I couldn't get them to show up very well.

I pulled out the Hello Again line from Carta Bella and went to work.  I've been hoarding this line because of...well, I don't know.  I just have a habit of hoarding the most gorgeous papers, like this background paper.  I made myself use it.  I'm actually getting better about using those papers that seem just too pretty to use :)  I traced some circles and then used watercolors & gelatos to create some shadow effects.  I used one of the adorable Heidi Swapp mini stencils and some distress ink to create the triangles.
 

I love how the circles turned out.  I've discovered I really love getting messy on layouts.  I almost always pull out my watercolors these days.  And my Cameo is getting more use.  I'm always on the lookout for fun new fonts.  Of course, I can't remember this one off the top of my head, but it welds together very nicely.  Those foiled letter stickers were from the $1 section at JoAnn's from years ago.
There I go again...hoarding!


I love layering.  I punched these two banner pieces with a fun banner punch I got at Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago.  Super fun to play with!  An easy tip to add layering is to use pop dots to raise your photo up.  It gives you lots of space to layer more papers, buttons, threads, stickers...you name it.  I layered tape under my photo here, along with the banners.


Another angle...more pop dots, thread, stamping, stickers and splatters.


Thanks so much for visiting my blog today.  Have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Dang girl!!!! You are some talent!! This is layout is sooooo fantastic! I L.O.V.E. everything about it. It just brings such a smile to my face with that photo, colours and outstanding design.:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hoarded this collection too, Missy!! :) One of my favorites! You did an awesome job with it and I love the mix of circles and triangles in the background!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and fresh page....love all the circles...and the papers happy and fun! Super design and a super photo too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo! Adore this graphic look, especially those shadowed circles! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete