Wednesday, June 11, 2014

1st Place / My Scraps & More

Happy Wednesday!  I wanted to share a fun layout with you today that I created for My Scraps and More a few weeks ago.  It was for a Tuesday Trigger challenge.  Our theme for May was GROWTH, and this challenge was to use one shape, from small to large, and repeat it over and over on your page.  I created a lot of circles in various sizes and layered them behind my photos.  I used mostly the 6x6 paper pad from the Maggie Holmes Styleboard collection from Crate Paper.  I added some gelatos and watercolor to my background from some extra pops of color.

I was actually inspired by that cute little "Perfect" ribbon in the right hand corner.  There are always those chipboard pieces or stickers that never seem to fit any of my layouts.  I see them and think, "I'll never use that...I have nothing that goes with it" or "I have no photos to coordinate with that."  Well, I thought that about this piece and the other ribbon at the bottom that says "First Prize."  I decided to create my own "competition" to make these pieces work....and this layout was born.

Clearly, these are just photos of my girls in their beds (and crib!).  However, once I looked at them, I realized they were playing, looking at books and just being silly when they should've been sleepy and going to bed.  An idea was born!  1st Place in Bedtime Stalling Techniques!  Perfect title, and a perfect way to use those ribbons :)


I've been so into using threads and fibers on my pages these days.  I like that it gives a messy feel to even a nice and neat layout.


I love the mix of patterns and colors in this collection...and these beiges and browns are so pretty to me.  I'm a sucker for mixing all of the rainbow colors together, even if they are muted and soft.  The browns contrast so nicely.


I pulled out some really old white stickers for my title...I believe they were $2 at Hobby Lobby.  I paired them with these awesome burlap Thickers.  I gessoed behind them and all around my photos.  I love the way it fades some of the color away.  To me, it helps the colors pop more.


I hope this encourages you to look through all those little embellishment pieces that you think aren't "you" and come up with a way to make them work.  I have so many more that I need to do this with.  I think I have so many mustaches that are just lying around...I'm going to challenge myself to figure out a way to use them next :)

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Such a fun idea for the title, Missy!! And the circles worked great for the challenge!! And those b&w photos are too cute!!

    ReplyDelete