Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Lesson Learned - My Mind's Eye

Happy Tuesday, friends!  I'm up on the My Mind's Eye blog today!  I'm sharing a layout featuring MME's amazing decorative tapes. I was SO excited to be asked to work with these tapes...they are most definitely a favorite of mine!  And they're so fun and easy to use to create a unique background.

For this layout, I decided to scrap a few photos from a spring photo shoot I had with my youngest daughter a few years ago.  I put her in a sundress hoping for some cute girly photos.  What I wound up with was a lot of pictures of her with her legs in the air, flashing everyone her bloomers!  Lesson learned…Paige isn’t the dress-wearing type…haha!  The pictures turned out so cute, and they really show her feisty yet adorable personality.
 
I used the Cut & Paste Charm collection for this page.  I liked that the colors aren’t really girly, yet you can still use them for a feminine page.  I started with the Charm “Sweet” Spin Paper and added lots of watered down acrylic paints.  Then, I began adding lots of tapes.  I used the tapes from the Charm collection as well as some from the Adorbs and Presh lines and some from the stand-alone tape sets. 


I love this woodgrain stamp.  I started adding in different MME stamps all over the place to add interest and give the look of dimension.  I also enjoy using hemp cord on my layouts. 
  

Layering washi tape together is a great way to add pops of color, patterns or designs to your pages.  I love how well these coordinate together.  Here you can see an arrow stamp and an enamel dot.  


Another angle on the paint and stamps.  One of my favorite things about combining tape, paint and stamps is that you can’t really mess things up.  It’s supposed to be messy and random, so even if you make a mistake, you can fix it easily.

  
Tapes can also be a good background for your title.  If your background is busy, use some tape behind your stickers to break it up and make it stand out.  Don’t you just love this striped tape?  It’s so bold and bright…one of my favorites, for sure!


Another tip about creating a background like this is that it’s great if you don’t have a lot of patterned papers left.  The only patterned paper I used was the background.  The rest of the layout is bits and pieces from the collection.  I used the Journal Cards, Bits & Pieces, Label Stickers…you’d be surprised what you can make without patterned paper.


I hope this inspires you to pull out your tapes (and stamps!) and try something new :)

Thanks so much for stopping by today!

Supplies:Cut & Paste Charm “Sweet” Spin Paper, Cut & Paste Presh Tape, Cut & Paste Charm Tape, Cut & Paste Adorbs Tape, Decorative Tape Sets Blue & Yellow, Emerald & Blue, Charm “Sweet” Treat Paper, Charm “Carefree” Chipboard Stickers, Charm “Sweet” 4x6 Journal Card, Charm “Carefree” 4x6 Journal Card, Charm “Hey You” Decorative Stamps, Collectable Stamps, Find Your Wings & Fly – Up & Away Decorative Stamps, Cut & Paste Flair “Snapshots” Decorative Stamps, Cut & Paste Charm “Smile” Enamel Dots, Charm “Smile” Decorative Brads, Charm “Sweet” Bits & Pieces, Charm “Carefree” Label Stickers, Charm “Sweet” Tiny Word Stickers.  Misc—Acrylic Paints, October Afternoon Mini Market Letter Stickers, Making Memories Letter Stickers.

3 comments:

  1. She is very much like my granddaughter. She loves dresses, but also loves to hang upside down and do cartwheels :-)

    I love your gorgeous background. I don't own any washi, and that is one new addiction I am not going to get into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!! Love what you did with this collection. Absolutely beautiful how the b&w pics stand out amongst the bright colors. Hope you will consider sharing it on our link up party. www.thememorynest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome Missy!! Love the way you mixed all of these colors and the way you used the Washi Tapes is so fun!! Such a cute layout for these photos and I love that you made them b&w! They really stand out, with all of the color in the background!!

    ReplyDelete