Saturday, July 28, 2012

Quote Challenge @ My Scraps and More

I hope you all are enjoying your weekend.  It's a beautiful Saturday here in Florida...hot, sunny & humid.  Well, maybe the humid part isn't so nice, but that's just part of our daily weather here.  My husband is outside working in the yard, I just finished yoga, the girls are watching Dora, and it's almost lunch time and then some pool time :)  Sounds like a great day to me!

I wanted to share a page I made for a challenge at My Scraps and More.  It was my turn to do the Wednesday {quote} challenge.  I have been wanting to scrap this picture of my daughter's scribbles on the sliding glass door.  I found this awesome art quote and knew it was a perfect saying for this picture.  You may ask why I was so excited that Reese drew on the glass...well, even though you would never know by looking at her, she is on the autism spectrum.  I knew early on that she was special.  I knew when she was 15 months old that something was going on because she had problems making eye contact, she never imitated anything anyone did, she didn't talk, she had no interest in playing with toys the way they were meant to be played with.  I would try and read to her and she wouldn't have it, and she refused to even hold a crayon, let alone color with one.

Long story short...we have spent the last four years in speech & occupational therapy, trying to help her.  She has come a long way, but we still have a long way to go.  She starts kindergarten this year, and that scares me!  We are fortunate to have a wonderful special-needs school nearby that she attends.  She gets her therapy everyday and is surrounded by amazing teachers who love her to pieces.  This is where she attended pre-school, so she is very familiar with everything there.

So this is a layout that showcases a huge milestone for Reese.  Even though she was almost 4 years old before she did this the first time, the point is she finally did it!  After she scribbled on the glass door, she also drew on the walls down the hallway.  Those masterpieces are still there...I refuse to wipe them off :)

The quote I used was:  "Every child is an artist.  The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."  --Pablo Picasso

I love this scribbly circle mask!  It totally reminds me of scribbles & doodles.  I love the look of outlining the edges, too.



A close-up of the misting...

I've had these flowers forever, and the color went with my papers perfectly! Just had to use them.

I based this layout on one of the Got Talent sketches. Kristine Davidson's sketches are SO awesome!


Thanks so much for stopping by today...have a wonderful weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Missy, what a precious milestone to remember so beautifully!! Reese is so fortunate/blessed to have you for a mom!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great layout! I love how you misted and mimicked your daughter's scribbles with the design on the background paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that misting you did in the back ground! While the scribbling on the window is not great the photo is!!! Love it Missy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this story is awesome and you have an amazing page to go with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing story, Missy!! I had no idea, your Reese struggled with Autism. I LOVE that you have left her "artwork" in the hallway too!! The quote you chose is so perfect and I love that you only included the photo of her drawing on this page!! Great way to tell the story and beautiful job with the misting and stitched circles!

    ReplyDelete